Select Page

Personal Injury Road Traffic Accidents

Road Traffic Accidents

Compensation, Insurance, Claims

Patience is something you admire in the driver behind you and scorn in the one ahead.

Mac McCleary

Road Traffic Accidents

What to do

Being involved in a road traffic accident is distressing.

If possible, stay calm and obtain the following information from the other driver:

  • His name and address
  • Registration details
  • Insurance details


  • Take photographs of the scene of the accident
  • Call the Gardai or report the accident to your local Garda Station


  • Admit liability

If you have an injury attend the doctor as soon as possible. Obtain an estimate for repairs to your car.

Consult a Solicitor and obtain advice on how to process a claim through the Injuries Board. You are obliged by law to place the other party on notice of a claim within two months of the date of the accident.*

Motor Accidents with no Insurance/Untraced Driver

The Motor Insurers Bureau (MIB) deals with road traffic accidents involving a motor vehicle where:

  1. There is no insurance
  2. Untraced driver

The MIB have to be placed on notice of a claim in writing and certain pre-conditions have to be satisfied before they will deal with same.

  • All MIB claims have to be submitted to the Injuries Board first.
  • Where there is an untraced driver there is an onus on the applicant to cooperate with representatives of the MIB.

See the latest edition of the Motor Insurers Bureau Agreement at MIBI Agreement 2009 for full details.

John Griffin

John Griffin

Want to talk to John?

Stay Calm. We Can Help.

Griffin Solicitors can deal with the paperwork while you return to normality.

or call Griffin Solicitors: +353 1 4907651

For More Help

* In contentious business, a legal practitioner shall not charge any amount in respect of legal costs expressed as a percentage or proportion of any damages (or other moneys) that may become payable to his or her client or purport to set out the legal costs to be charged to a junior counsel as a specified percentage of proportion of the legal costs paid to a senior counsel. A legal practitioner shall not without the prior written agreement of his or her client deduct or appropriate any amount in respect of legal costs from the amount of any changes or moneys that become payable to the client in respect of legal services that the legal practitioner provided to the client.

Share This